Title: Executive Director, Broadcasting Services
Deadline to Apply: 05/07/2021
Job Category: Administrative/Professional
Department: Broadcasting Service-SIUC
College: Chief of Staff-SIUC
Months of Appointment: 12
Executive Director, Broadcasting Services (WSIU Public Broadcasting)
Southern Illinois University (SIU) Carbondale seeks a talented and experienced media professional to serve as executive director of its Broadcasting Services unit (“WSIU Public Broadcasting”).
WSIU Public Broadcasting is responsible for operating three radio and five television stations with a coverage area that reaches 5 million people across seven states. The stations are WSIU-TV and WSIU-FM of Carbondale, IL; WUSI-TV and WUSI-FM of Olney, IL; and WVSI-FM of Mount Vernon, IL; WMEC-TV of Macomb, IL, WQEC-TV of Quincy, IL, and WSEC-TV of Chatham, IL
The duties and responsibilities of the executive director include:
- Oversee all administrative and leadership aspects of WSIU Public Broadcasting, including strategic planning, budgeting, personnel management, fundraising/underwriting, television and radio operations, and establishing the vision and goals to fulfill the unit’s mission.
- Build and maintain strong relationships within the university and the community to provide opportunities for students and faculty interested in the broadcast/media fields and provide services to the community. Of particular focus are building strong ties to academic programs such as radio/television/digital media to provide practical creative experiential learning for students.
- Serve as the chief fiscal officer for all broadcasting service accounts and ensure sound fiscal management for all revenues and expenses.
- Collaborate with university to coordinate efforts with state and federal officials on funding and regulatory matters that affect broadcasting services.
- Ensure the development and effective implementation of a substantial fundraising operation that provides private financial support through annual gifts, major donations and endowments as well as significant underwriting of operations. This position should participate in many facets of these revenue generating activities.
- Make strategic decisions on programming matters for radio and television that meet the mission of the stations while also meeting the needs of the viewers, members, donors and regulators.
- Meet regularly with the Friends of WSIU and other groups to build relationships with viewers, members, donors, community leaders, the public and university students/faculty/staff.
- a bachelor’s degree and at least six years of management-level experience at a radio and/or television organization or a master’s degree and at least four years of such experience
- a demonstrated understanding of operating a not-for-profit organization
- fundraising, underwriting, and grant writing experience
- understanding of FCC regulations, policies, and rules
- experience managing budgets and personnel
Preferred Qualifications: There is a preference for a person with experience in the public media field.
General Information – College/Department
Founded in 1869, SIU Carbondale is the flagship campus of the Southern Illinois University System. With more than 11,000 students and more than 3,000 faculty and staff, the Carbondale campus offers a full range of doctoral, master’s, bachelor’s and associate degrees in addition to professional degrees in law and medicine. It is a diverse, student-centered, research-intensive university that has earned national recognition for its teaching, research, service, civic engagement and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
The physical beauty of the region is a major attraction to students, faculty and visitors. Sixty miles to the south of Carbondale is the historic confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers, the two forming the border of the southern tip of Illinois. Just six hours south of Chicago and within easy driving distance of St. Louis, Memphis, Nashville and Indianapolis, SIU Carbondale draws students from the Midwest but also from nearly every U.S. state and nearly 100 nations. A vibrant community of approximately 25,000 residents, Carbondale is regarded as one of the best small cities in Illinois.
Equal Opportunity Employer
SIU Carbondale is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans that strives to enhance its ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff and to increase its potential to serve a diverse student population. All applications are welcomed and encouraged and will receive consideration.