Sat, Aug. 13 at 5pm - Doo Wop, Pop and Soul Generations
A sequel to the successful 2018 Doo Wop Generations special, DOO WOP, POP AND SOUL GENERATIONS (MY MUSIC) celebrates the legacies of the great artists and songs of the late 1950s and early 60s following the birth of rock and roll and the explosion of rhythm and blues on the radio. This new concert special features the broadcast premieres of many original groups and new generation favorites that perform for sold-out doo wop, pop, and soul concerts nationwide. Following two decades of producing concert specials reuniting original performers on stage to sing their hits one more time, the My Music production team conducted a national talent search to present the next generation of younger singers and groups who carry on the tradition by channeling the doo wop, pop and soul sounds of the past.
DOO WOP, POP AND SOUL GENERATIONS (MY MUSIC) is part of special programming broadcasting on Sat, Aug. 13 at 5pm. Tune in on the WSIU stations: WSIU 8.1, WUSI 16.1, WSEC 14.1, WQEC 27.1 and WMEC 22.2 or access the WSIU local broadcast livestream online at pbs.org or via the PBS Video app.
"The 50s and 60s oldies genre, in particular, is in danger of leaving us for good unless a new generation is found to bring the music forward,” said TJ Lubinsky, My Music creator and executive producer. “Now in our 25th year of shows, we are making sure this happens with DOO WOP, POP AND SOUL GENERATIONS, which showcases beloved songs influenced by classic vocal group arrangements and pop harmonies.”
DOO WOP, POP AND SOUL GENERATIONS (MY MUSIC) features these performances:
- “Only In America” – Jay and The Americans and Charlie Thomas' Drifters
- “Teardrops Follow Me” – Stan Ziska and The Del Satins
- “Come On Little Angel” – The Belmonts
- Tribute To Bobby Rydell: “Volare” – Mike Mastellone
- “Venus In Blue Jeans” – Jimmy Clanton and Mike Mastellone
- Tribute to Gene Pitney: “Town Without Pity”/“I'm Gonna Be Strong” – Vinnie Medugno
- “Lonely Teardrops” – Bobby Wilson
- “A Wonderful Dream” – The Majors
- “We Belong Together” – The Vissers
- “One Summer Night” -–The Danleers
- Tribute to Bobby Darin: “Dream Lover”/“Beyond The Sea”– Alex Byrd
- “Put Your Head On My Shoulder” – Chris Ruggiero
- “Red Rubber Ball” – Chris Ruggiero and The Cyrcle
- “Unchained Melody” – Chris Ruggiero
- “Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me” – JT Carter
- “Could It Be I'm Falling In Love” – The Modern Gentlemen
- “Tell Her About It” – The Modern Gentlemen
- “Baby I Need Your Lovin'” – Peter & The Soul Superstars
- “Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch (I Can't Help Myself)” – Peter & The Soul Superstars
- “You Really Got A Hold On Me” – The Karlsbad Band
- “You Make Me Feel Brand New” – Michael D'Amore
- “Oh, What A Night” – The Best Intentions
- “Just My Imagination” – The Best Intentions
- “This I Swear” – Kenny Vance & The Planotones
Have you considered becoming a member of WSIU?
Becoming a member is easy and it’s the first step to ensuring this essential public resource remains viable for future generations. Support the programs and services you love by becoming a sustaining member at any level. Options for support include membership, volunteering, or supporting WSIU via a planned gift or vehicle/real estate donation. Learn more and make a gift today by visiting wsiu.org or call (800) 745-9748.