The SIU Flying Salukis continue their national success
SIU-Carbondale’s Flying Salukis maintained their tradition of excellence in collegiate aviation.
The Flying Salukis finished third at the National Intercollegiate Flying Association championships last week at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
The competition featured 28 teams. Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University-Prescott won the title, followed by the University of North Dakota.
SIU-C's finish marks the 14th straight year the nine-time national champions have finished in the top five nationally and 11th time in 12 years the Flying Salukis have been in the top three overall.
Results are available here.
Krzysztof Skubisz from Hoffman Estates, Illinois, who earned his degree in economics and aviation flight on Saturday, May 13, was the 13th overall scoring contestant with 58 points and was the
top scoring for the Flying Salukis.
Co-captain Wendy Elliott, an aviation management and flight graduate from Boulder, Colorado, finished with 49 points to place 20th overall and was the highest scoring woman in the event.
Other Flying Salukis who scored points were:
- Noah Ciocca, aviation management and flight graduate from Morton, Illinois, 41 points; 26th place.
- Dayne Snodgrass, senior, aviation management and flight, Byron, Illinois,5 points; 28th place.
- Thomas Edgar, senior, piano performance and aviation flight, Charles, Illinois, 35 points; 34th place.
- Grant Gillespie, sophomore, aviation technologies and aviation flight, Fort Worth, Texas, 28 points; 41st place.
- Samuel Cogan, aviation management graduate, Alton, Illinois, 20 points; tied for 54th place.
- Matteus Thompson, aviation technologies and aviation flight graduate, Cincinnati, 15 points; tied for 72nd place.
- Amelia Anderson, aviation management and aviation flight graduate, Johnston City, Illinois, 12.5 points; 80th place.
- Vassilios Georges, freshman, aviation management and flight, Chesterfield, Missouri, 12 points; tied for 84th place.
- Jake Mack, freshman, aviation technologies and aviation flight, Lake Zurich, Illinois, 11 points; 93rd place.
- Derrick Crider, economics and aviation flight graduate, Wheaton, Illinois, 3 points; tied for 141st place.
Additional Flying Salukis with hometowns, year in school and majors are:
- Dale Miller, aviation management and flight graduate, Highland, Illinois.
- Josie Boelter, freshman, aviation management and flight, Lomira, Wisconsin.
- Ben Campbell, freshman, aviation management and flight, Richmond, Illinois.
- Colin Ramsour, sophomore, aviation management and flight, Centralia, Illinois.
- Mateo Torres, freshman, aviation management and flight, Park Ridge, Illinois.
- Luke Trout, freshman, aviation management and flight, Holland, Indiana.